Pages

Wednesday 3 March 2010

I'd Like To Copy: Gudrun Sjoden

I can’t remember how or where I first heard of the Gudrun Sjoden range of clothing but her website has been one of my favourites for quite some time.

Firstly I love the clothes. Even the ones I would never wear I find inspirational and the unique cut of some of the items lifts her designs far above the ordinary.

There's a good chance that I've already *copied* her style. The ever-inventive layering which features in every range has greatly inspired how I dress .... even though perhaps most of the influence has been subliminal and I've only recognised it in retrospect.

From her latest designs I'm a little besotted by the simplicity of the 'Oaxen' range [below].
For those of you aware of my leanings towards in all things Swedish this Spring ...it won't come as much of a surprise to hear how the range is described:
[...] and all of a sudden we present you with something simple and spartan. And that's the story with these patinated pieces that have a slightly worn-in look. Which we decided to photograph in a disused limestone quarry on the island of Oaxen. Here in this barren Scandinavian environment, where sea, bare rock and forest meet [...] this was a story of our Scandinavian origins.

After seeing this shot [below] I can't tell you how much I want to sit on a post, looking moodily into the middle distance, wearing that outfit:And I'd really, really like to add this to my blue dress collection please [if three blue dresses constitutes 'a collection'?]: Either way, I already own some burgundy tights so could easily recreate the look!

One of the most original features on the site is that, in addition to regular fashion photography,
they include illlustrations of all the items too: The sketches are so like those from dressmaking patterns that looking through the site takes me right back to a 70s childhood with a mother who dabbled in making us dresses! So now we can add 'a cosy sense of nostalgia' to the myriad of reasons I love browsing through the catalogue each season.

Sadly, the only items I have ever had from there is a hat and gloves set and that was some years ago now. I think I'm going to need to start a 'buy something wonderful from Gudrun Sjoden' fund for myself [or indeed for anyone else who cares to] to start adding to! Maybe I'll start picking up pennies in the street, or not spending as much on paper, or cheap T-shirts!

If I ever manage to get my hands on somthing from the range, I'll let you know. Although, you know, as it all works so very well when several items are layered up together...it'd be a shame to buy just the one piece ....wouldn't it?


Julie

4 comments:

Clair said...

I love all of the fun colours and the layers are an excellent way of spreading your clothing through at least three seasons. Might you be able to justify a purchase to yourself if you work out the cost per wear? :)

I love the sketches too - I have an increadible soft spot for fashion art. Yum!

Sian said...

Gorgeous clothes and I'm intrigued by that heading of "potato country" in the catalogue. It looks like an old Clothkits catalogue actually..very nice :)

Anonymous said...

I love Gudrun's designs. She did a collection based around Freda Kahlo a few years back and everything was just so stunning.

Bytus said...

Hello mate great blog posst

Related Posts with Thumbnails